Click on palette below and see me paint a portrait in 2 minutes!

Friday, December 19, 2014

The Christmas Push!

I had to put the push on painting some really fun small giftings, in order to get them to their destinations on time.  The following two are mini paintings fashioned for use as ornaments for the Sebastian River Art Club's fundraiser for the Food Pantry.  I developed this program last year, got the little canvases and other supplies, nagged the SRAC members to paint, had a "backing and hanger" assemblage party.  We filled up 2 trees with these little beauties, then had an opening reception to launch them ... the result of which we were able to donate $700 to the Food Pantry for the holidays.

This year, since I am busier than a one-armed paperhanger with family obligations, some wonderful hearty hands pitched in and took over the responsibility.  I think the paintings are even better this year, and I can foresee this program going over the top each year and becoming quite famous locally.  These little masterpieces are sold for $10 each, and all proceeds go to the Food Pantry in Sebastian.  What a great way for artists to give back and utilize their talents for the good of others.

"Red Hibiscus" mini Acrylic


"Boat Reflections" mini Acrylic
The next painting was for my daughter Tracy and her hubby Turhan, who live in Chandler Arizona.  They lost two beloved cats this year, and Maggie, their Scottish Fold cat, was also failing.  I happened to come across this lovely box in TJ Max, and got the idea to make her a painting to put in the picture frame area.  She already had full-face paintings of all their five cats from last Christmas, but this one would be profile and more contemplative--with less of an "angry cat"-like look that Maggie always had.  Maggie had a craggy nose, flat ears, and a rather mean disposition, so I tried to capture the softer side of her for them to remember her by after her passing.   I finished it quickly, packed it up and mailed it best fastest way, hoping it would get there before Maggie's passing.  It arrived the day after and so was a bit sad for them.   The painting was only 3"x5", but painted with much tenderness and love.



As Christmas approaches my mind begins to focus on my soon-to-come after-Christmas art obligations, which seem like many right now.  And so I must find time to paint for them, in between working for my daughter's www.CrimsonKeyEstateSales.com company, and babysitting for her and Cass's adorable daughter, Salem, pictured below.


And so visit this blog again soon as I bang out paintings for January, when I will be the featured artist in the Sebastian River Art Club's Art Center's "Orange Room" (quite a challenge gathering paintings that go with orange!), and also the Featured Artist in Dale Sorensen Real Estate's office in the Vero Beach Arts District, where my daughter Robin also works as an agent.  Come see my work there during the Gallery Stroll, January 2nd, 5-8 pm.  Then the next month my art studio will be part of the 11-studio "4th Annual Sebastian Art Studio Tour" on February 7th, 10-5:00.  This is my second year participating in this event, although I helped out with publicity on the others.

As I sign off today, all those who see this posting I wish a Merry Christmas, and a new year filled with good health, peace, love, and art.

Judy Burgarella
Blogger

No comments: